More than 30 Polish and Lithuanian nationals deported from Ireland

By Gráinne Ní Aodha, Press Association

More than 30 Polish and Lithuanian nationals have been deported from Ireland “on grounds of criminality”, the Department of Justice said.

Some 34 men – 22 from Poland and 12 from Lithuania – ranging in age from their mid-20s to mid-60s, were removed from the State in accordance with the Free Movement Directive.

All those removed had a criminal history in Ireland and received custodial sentences for a range of criminal offences, the Department said.

Twenty-five people had been serving sentences in prison and nine others were arrested and detained prior to their removal, gardai said.

 

Re-entry bans of up to 10 years have been applied to prevent their return to Ireland.

The flight left Dublin Airport on Sunday and landed in Warsaw at around 3:45pm Irish time, before landing in Vilinius at around 5:50pm Irish time.

Garda personnel, medical staff, interpreters and a human rights observer accompanied the returnees on the flight.

A total of 88 people have been removed from Ireland so far in 2026 under the Free Movement Directive; in 2025, 56 people were removed from Ireland under the directive.

“European citizens have the right to freedom of movement,” Justice Minister Jim O’Callaghan said.

“Restricting this right is not something I take lightly, but there must be consequences for people whose behaviour means they should no longer enjoy this privilege.

“I will take action if our laws are not upheld. This includes enforcing removal orders for people involved in criminality and for those who pose a danger to society. Today’s operation underpins my commitment in this area.

“I want to acknowledge that the vast majority of Polish and Lithuanian nationals resident in the State respect our laws, and are valuable members of our society.

“I would like to extend my thanks to the members of An Garda Siochana, as well as officials from my department, for their dedicated work in completing this operation.”