Seir Kieran hang on as spirited Shamrocks lose out in low scoring encounter

Story by Tom Kelly

Friday, 23rd November, 2007 9:00am

Seir Kieran 0-8

Shamrocks 1-4

Seir Kieran captured the U16 B hurling title with a narrow one point victory over Shamrocks played in dreadful weather conditions in Mount Bolus on Saturday afternoon last.

It took a late pointed free from Sean Coughlan to give the Clareen side victory over a courageous Shamrocks side who never gave up. While Seir Kieran had to rely on Coughlan"s late point for victory they were the better team over the hour and but for some wayward shooting could have had the game wrapped up at the interval.

As it was they led by 3 points at the break 0-4 to 0-1, having played with the assistance of a strong wind in the opening half. However, their 10 first half wides gave Shamrocks a fighting chance in the second half.

As already stated Seir Kieran dominated the opening period with Thomas Carroll a constant thorn in Shamrocks side. However, on the resumption with wind assistance Shamrocks came more into the game and when sub Leon Mollin levelled proceedings with a goal eight minutes from time it looked as though they might snatch victory. But in typical Seir Kieran fashion, the Clareen side kept plugging away and Sean Coughlan coolly slotted over a late free to gain a deserved victory for his side.

With the aid of the stiff breeze, Seir Kieran started brightly and thanks to points from Conor Kennedy (f) and Thomas Carroll, led by 0-2 to nil after seven minutes. Shamrocks had their opening score when Shane Rosney sent over a good point from almost 50 metres into the breeze. Carroll responded with the second of his five points from play.

Scores were few and far between at this stage as Seir Kieran squandered a number of good chances, in fact twenty scoreless minutes of play lapsed, during which time Seir Kieran brought their tally of wides to ten before Thomas Carroll"s third point a minute into injury time gave his side a 0-4 to 0-1 interval lead.

Shamrocks had the opening score of the new half when their captain Paddy Kelly pointed a free in the 32nd minute. Three minutes later, the same player had a goal shot well saved by Joseph Connors in the two minutes into the new half and he then saw a decent shot saved by Seir Kieran "keeper Joseph Connors.

Ten minutes into the half Conor Walsh restored Seir Kieran"s three point advantage, before Paddy Kelly replied with his sides" second point of the half from a free on 42 minutes. Thomas Carroll eased the pressure on Seir Kieran with two good points from play to give them a 0-7 to 0-3 lead with 13 minutes left on the clock. Three minutes later Kelly pointed his third free and then eight minutes from time Shane Rosney"s high delivery landed in the vicinity of the Seir Kieran square and sub Leon Mollin was quickest to react guiding the sliotar to the net to level proceedings.

A draw looked like it might be the outcome until Seir Kieran were awarded a free three minutes from time and Sean Coughlan coolly slotted between the posts for the game"s final score and the Peter Fox Memorial Cup was on its way to Clareen.

Both sides deserve credit for their commitment and while there was little between the sides at the end of the day the difference was that Seir Kieran had a player of the calibre of Thomas Carroll who in difficult conditions hit five points from play.

SCORERS: Seir Kieran: Thomas Carroll (0-5), Conor Walsh (0-1), Conor Kennedy (0-1 free), Sean Coughlan (0-1 free).

Shamrocks: Paddy Kelly (0-3 frees), Leon Mollin (1-0), Shane Rosney (0-1).

SEIR KIERAN: Joseph Connors; Cathal Murphy, Brian Mulrooney; Kevin Dunne, Sean Coughlan, Cathal Jennings; Adrian Hynes, Conor Walsh; Billy Connors, Conor Kennedy (capt.), Noelie Bergin; Colm Coughlan, Thomas Carroll. Sub.: Neil Joseph Maher for N Bergin (32 mins).

SHAMROCKS: DJ Rosney; Kevin Mooney, Alan Foster; Shane Heffernan, Daniel Heffernan, Jack Bryant; Mark McLoughlin, Morgan Byrne; William Minnock, Paddy Kelly (capt.), Shane Rosney; Ciaran Buckley, Alan Cleary. Subs.: Barry Kelly for A Cleary (22 mins), Leon Mollin for B Kelly (50 mins), Michael McConigley for W Minnock (60 mins).

REFEREE: Martin Walsh, Birr.