Civil registration and marriage services fully restored in Tullamore
Civil registration and marriage services have been fully restored in Tullamore, it has been confirmed today (Tuesday).
The office will once again provide the complete suite of services, including the vital provision of marriage services alongside births and deaths registrations.
The lack of a civil registration registrar and solemniser for marriages has been an ongoing and frustrating issue in the county in recent years, forcing local couples to travel outside of Offaly to access these essential services.
Offaly TD John Clendennen has been a vocal advocate on the issue, consistently raising it with the Minister for Health and the Health Service Executive (HSE) to secure a permanent resolution.
Speaking today on the full resumption of services, Deputy Clendennen said: “I am delighted to confirm that as of yesterday (Monday), the Civil Registration Office in Tullamore is fully operational once again, providing not just birth and death registrations, but the crucial marriage registration and solemniser services that have been missing for too long.
“Having a situation where couples have had to travel to neighbouring counties for this service was simply unacceptable. These are essential services for families at some of the most significant moments in their lives, and it is only right that they are available here in Offaly, just as they are in our neighbouring counties.”
The disruption to the service has been a recurring issue, with the office previously unable to provide a marriage registration service since January 2024 due to staffing shortages and retirements.
Following continued engagement by Deputy Clendennen, temporary staffing arrangements were put in place earlier this year to partially restore services, with a commitment to a full recruitment process.
“I have engaged closely and consistently with the HSE and the Minister for Health to ensure this matter was treated with the urgency it deserved, “ Deputy Clendennen said.
“While the temporary measures introduced were a welcome step, this week marks the delivery of the permanent, reliable service that the people of Offaly require.
“I want to thank the couples and families who have been patient during this period, as well as local businesses who rely on the wedding industry in our county. I also want to thank the HSE for their engagement and actions to ensure the full restoration of services. It was great to see the office in full operation this morning when I dropped by.”