Missing Tullamore woman Fiona Pender

Fiona Pender: 30 years of heartbreak

By Rebekah O'Reilly

Thirty years after Fiona Pender disappeared in Tullamore, the search for answers goes on.

The 25-year-old Tullamore woman was seven months pregnant with her first child when she went missing on August 23, 1996.

She continues to be remembered in Tullamore, and this Sunday, poignantly on the 30th anniversary of her disappearance, the annual walk in her memory will take place at 'Fiona's Way' in the county town at 11am.

Runners and walkers are being invited to take part, with a perpetual trophy to be presented on the day.

Despite an extensive investigation, searches across land, air, and water, and five arrests over the years, Fiona has never been found and her disappearance remains unsolved.

'Unsolved' is also the title of an RTÉ podcast series, hosted by crime journalist Barry Cummins and presenter Katja Mia, which this month has been examining Fiona's disappearance anew.

The daughter of the late Josephine and Sean Pender, Fiona was also a sister to John and the late Mark. Her family has endured decades of uncertainty and heartache in the hope that one day they will know what happened to her.

Fiona met her boyfriend, John Thompson, through a motorbike club, where she was known for her distinctive pink motorcycle.

Motorbikes were also a source of tragedy for the family, with Fiona's younger brother Mark dying in a motorcycle accident in 1995, just 14 months before Fiona's disappearance.

Fiona had spent time living and working in London before returning home to Tullamore. In 1996, she was preparing for motherhood. She and Emer Condron also had plans to establish a mobile beauty business.

At the time, Fiona and John were living in a bedsit in Tullamore, which RTÉ's Barry Cummins described as “a tight squeeze”, with the couple looking for somewhere new to live.

Thursday, August 22, 1996, was the last full day in which Fiona was seen.

had been shopping with her mother, Josephine, at The Bridge Centre.

Early on the morning of Friday, August 23, John Thompson left for work on his family's farm. Fiona's mother visited the flat both on Friday and Saturday to find the curtains drawn and no answer.

On Saturday night, John and Josephine went to the bedsit, but there was no sign of Fiona. This prompted John, and her parents Josephine and Sean, to report Fiona as a missing person on Saturday, August 24, 1996.

Her disappearance prompted a major search operation. An extensive search involving air, land and river operations was carried out during the six weeks that followed.

By October 1996, the investigation had become “pretty static”, reaching a particularly poignant point as it was the same month in which Fiona had been due to give birth.

In January 1997, an episode of RTÉ's Crimeline focused on Fiona's disappearance, with investigators hoping to progress the case through information about a dark van seen near her apartment.

Six months after Fiona was reported missing from the flat on Church Street, Tullamore, Garda enquiries were continuing on a daily basis.

The Killeigh area subsequently became a major focus of the investigation. A large force of Gardaí, supported by sub-aqua divers and sniffer dogs, carried out a detailed search of the area between Gurteen Bridge and Annaghmore Lough.

In May 1997, seven people were interviewed in connection with Fiona's disappearance, including five members of the same family.

Two years after Fiona vanished, in August 1998, hopes were raised that a Crimestoppers initiative and a £5,000 reward might help provide answers. Nothing came forward.

For Fiona's family, the passing years brought no answers.

In April 2003, Fiona's mother Josephine told the Offaly Independent that she had given up any lingering hope that her daughter might somehow still be alive. She said she wanted closure and to be able to bury her daughter.

In 2014, a memorial was erected in Fiona's memory beside the Grand Canal at Callery Street, Tullamore. Over the years, her family continued to hold memorials and vigils in tribute to Fiona.

When Josephine died in 2017, Fiona's younger brother John vowed to continue his mother's quest to find his sister.

In May 2025, almost 29 years after Fiona disappeared, Gardaí upgraded the investigation into her disappearance to a murder investigation.

Gardaí said the decision was made “on the basis of the entirety of the information available to the investigation team”.

They said searches which were carried out in Offaly last year formed part of a sustained investigation by Gardaí in the Laois/Offaly Garda Division over the previous 28 years to establish Fiona's whereabouts and investigate the circumstances of her disappearance.

Over the course of the investigation, thousands of documents and reports have been discovered and collated, more than 300 statements of evidence have been taken and a number of exhibits retained.

Extensive searches have been carried out and a number of arrests were made at various stages in connection with the investigation.

Yet, despite the years of searches, interviews and investigation, Fiona's whereabouts remains unknown.