The River Shannon's Parteen Basin. Image: ESB.

Tendering process to begin for massive River Shannon water extraction project

It was announced today (Thursday) that a tendering process is to begin for the proposed 170-kilometre pipeline to supply water from the River Shannon, through Tipperary, Offaly, and Kildare, to the wider Dublin area.

A planning application for the multi-billion euro project, which is one of the largest infrastructure developments in the State's history, was lodged with An Coimisiún Pleanála last December.

While the planning decision is pending, Uisce Éireann said the Government had been presented with a 'detailed business case' for the project and had given the go ahead to start the procurement and tendering process in order to "accelerate the delivery phase".

If planning approval is granted for the project, Uisce Éireann is proposing to start construction in 2028, and to have it completed within five years. The overall cost is currently being estimated at between €4.58 billion and €5.96 billion.

The development is expected to have capacity to supply drinking water to up to 50% of Ireland’s population across the Eastern and Midlands region, with parts of Offaly among the areas due to be supplied with drinking water from it.

It's expected that a 'spur' from the main pipeline could also deliver a water supply to the wider Mullingar area.

Uisce Éireann said the project "will be essential in order to support housing and economic growth across the region, including in the Dublin area, in the decades to come".

Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage, James Browne, said: "The Water Supply Project is a vital piece of infrastructure to unlock housing and facilitate growth in the Eastern and Midlands Region.

"Its delivery is critical to help us achieve the aims of Delivering Homes, Building Communities, our housing action plan."

Maria O'Dwyer, Uisce Éireann's Infrastructure Delivery Director, welcomed the Government approval to progress the project through the next stage and said the development was "backed by the Government's continued funding commitment".

"This project is achieving milestones at pace and we are taking all possible measures to accelerate delivery as it navigates through the statutory planning process," Ms O'Dwyer said.

"We will be progressing with the procurement of contractors and other project delivery partners over the coming months, so that, subject to the planning approval, works can be mobilised as quickly and efficiently as possible."

The project is expected to involve the installation of a 1600mm diameter underground steel pipeline which would extend in "a generally northeastern direction" from the Shannon's Parteen Basin through counties Tipperary, Offaly, Kildare and Dublin.

In addition to the pipeline passing through Offaly, some of the infrastructure associated with the project would also be based in the county. There's a proposal to construct a 2,160 square metre booster pumping station on 2.6 hectare site at Coagh Upper, Birr.

Four "potential future connection points" are included in the plans, two of which are in Offaly, at Killananny, and Ballyhugh or Springfield.

In addition, eight temporary construction compounds are being proposed along the pipeline's route, including a 15.6 hectare compound at Killananny in Offaly.

The county would also have six temporary pipe storage depots associated with the project - these would be based in the townlands of Toora, Boveen, Fortel, Derrinboy, Derryweelan and Rathlumber.